Those cheese biscotti are the perfect little side to accompany your deli, cheese counter and wine of course! Don’t worry, you can sneak one for a snack if you’re feeling puckish! As a dozen is being made, no one will notice!
Anyway, it’s always nice to have some on hand.
Preparation + cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
For 15 pieces
- 1 cup (120g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- ½ cup (80g) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup (40g) finely grated parmesan (see tips)
- 1 cup (120g) coarsely grated cheddar
- 2 free-range eggs
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Combine almond meal, flour, oregano, baking powder and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Add parmesan and cheddar; mix well.
- Whisk eggs and oil in a small jug. Add egg mixture to cheese mixture. Using your hands, bring the mixture together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Shape, then roll the mixture into a 25cm (10-inch) log. Place the log on tray; flatten slightly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Leave on the tray for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 160°C.
- Using a large serrated knife, cut log, diagonally into 1cm (1/2-inch) slices. Place slices, in a single layer, on an oven tray. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn biscotti over. Bake for a further 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
These biscotti will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week. If they soften, return to the oven to re-crisp.
For a gluten-free option, use gluten-free self-raising flour instead.