You may not believe me, but what is following is true! Strawberries carbonara is a real Italian recipe. Italian people even call them “Spaghetti alle Fragole” with their cute singing accent. Before tomatoes were imported to Italy in the 16th century, pasta was sometimes served with strawberry sauce.
The recipe may seem odd to you, but I really advise you to try it. I found this original recipe from the Christophe Adam’s book called Fraise (strawberry) at Éditions de La Martinière. The starred pastry chef, the creator of L’Éclair de Génie (whom 3 years ago, I had the opportunity to interview about his amazing French Eclairs), advises not to forget the pepper!! And he’s completely right, it’s essential if you want to feel all flavours of this recipe!
Prep time: 10 minutes.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 450 g of beautiful red strawberries
- 200 g smoked bacon
- 30 cl full cream
- 320 g spaghetti
- Black pepper from the mill
- Quickly wash the strawberries, remove the stems, reserve 150 g for decoration.
- Put the rest in a saucepan, add the bacon and cream. Steam with the bacon over low heat for about 10 minutes, until the strawberries are softened.
- Strain through a fine sieve, collect all the bacon and put the strawberries back into the cream.
- Blend the cream and strawberries with a hand blender.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning (normally it should be quite salty because of the bacon), add a few turns of pepper mill and keep the sauce warm.
- Cook the spaghetti for the time indicated on the packet and drain them, then mix them with the sauce and the bacon.
Serve immediately! Bon appétit!
What did you think about this recipe? Did you try it? Let me know.
Find more savoury recipes on my blog and feel free to follow me on my Instagram, Facebook & Pinterest pages @alacartedele.
Always available if you have any questions 😉